How do I get started?
- There are various ways an electronic claim may be created. All must be in the HIPAA-compliant format.
- Many offices have practice management software (a software program which can print statements, claims forms, and perhaps schedule appointments) with the ability to build the HIPAA-compliant file.
Free billing software is available. This software will convert data into the HIPAA-compliant format. Contact us at 1-800-472-6481, opt. 3 for more information , or if you are interested in using.
If a billing or practice management software does not have the ability to create the HIPAA-compliant format, a file in print image or other proprietary formats may be sent to a clearinghouse. The clearinghouse will convert the file into the HIPAA-compliant format.
How do I decide what is the best option for my office?
- Some things to consider are:
- Size of practice and future growth of practice
Most importantly, visit with offices similar to yours in size and specialty for their opinions based on their experience.
***We are here to help you find the best EDI solution for your office. Our knowledgeable EDI Marketing staff will gladly discuss options with you. Contact us at: 1-800-472-6481, opt. 3, for Marketing.
How do I send a file?
There a several communication options available for the file transfer:
- The preferred method for file transfer is via the ASK Web site (www.ask-edi.com)
- Network Service vendors such as ABILITY
- ABILITY – ABILITY website or call 612-460-4327
For more information on communication options, please refer to the Connectivity Manual
What is a trading partner?
- An entity who has agreed to exchange electronic data is called a trading partner. This entity could be a clearinghouse, a billing service, or an individual provider.
How does one become a trading partner?
- Anyone wishing to become a trading partner must complete the EDI Enrollment form. This provides the information needed to complete setup for electronic transactions. Once setup is completed the provider and/or vendor is notified and a seven-digit trading partner numbers is assigned and used as the login. At this point, the trading partner is ready to begin submitting electronically, or testing with the vendor.